November 03, 2013

Ariel Costume

I hope everyone had a great Halloween! October was a crazy month for me, I was consumed by making my Ariel costume and I am finally now recovering from many sleepless nights.

For this post I will be sharing a picture of my nails along with a brief description of how I made my costume


For my mermaid nails I started with Gelish Deep Sea, I then pressed a holographic glitter into the sticky layer left on the cured nails. Next I used an assortment of crystals in different sizes and glued them diagonally along the tips. To finish off the design, I made a few 3D starfish using my acrylic molds from 3D-nails. Once everything was secured I completed the nails with gel top gloss.


 



After a month of intense labor, I can honestly say that I could not be happier with this costume! 

I started off with the shell bra. Luckily I had an old bra that was the perfect color, I cut off the straps and sewed new clear staps on. Next using femo clay, I sculpted the shells to cover the bra cups. This was probably the trickiest part of the costume, especially getting the cooking time correct. Using the same clay in a light pink color I sculpted the starfish hair clip. For the tail I simply pinned some stretchy dance fabric as tightly to my body as possible. Once this incredibly tight skirt was done. I cut off the bottom in a deep V from my knee to lower calf. Along the bottom of the skirt I attached 2 layers of tulle, I used 2 shades cut in 3" wide strips. I used the fabric for the top of the tail as well. The final part of my costume was my Sebastian purse, I think this is my favorite part of the whole costume! For him, I just picked up a stuffed toy from the Disney store, carefully detached the upper half of his shell with a thread picker, then glued gunned some Velcro for a closure. For the strap I braided 3 types of ribbon together one that had leaves and 2 for strength creating a seaweed like swing for him to sit on.

The most exciting part about my costume is that I can now offer a little mermaid upgrade for my princess manicure birthday parties. 





7 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful, the perfect Ariel *_*
    I can't even decide where to look, your amazing costume or your gorgeous nails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your Costume is amazing and beautiful. It was worth the work. You are so pretty! You have the most beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad you like it! I'll be honest about my eyes, I'm wearing Korean circle lenses. They make your eyes bigger and brighter :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy some nice cosplay costumes online need fast shipping and all anime cosplay costumes in www.cosplayfield.com are fast shipping with DHL, after custom made, most of customers can receive their costumes within 5 business days. Free shipping of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your costume AND nails turned out awesome :) Your hard work paid off! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really you are looking too beautiful and the costume too.

      Delete