October 09, 2012

Day 279 - Pumpkin Patch

With Halloween quickly approaching the pumpkin patches around town are open and in full swing. I have not been since I was in elementary school, but I do enjoy picking up a few pumpkins from the farmers market to carve. I'm a last minute kind of person so my pumpkins have been a little sad in the past. Hopefully typing this design will help plant the seed in my head to go early.

I wanted to go with a french tip for this design, the color I chose was a beautiful dark chocolaty shimmer. The pumpkins are pretty simple, it just takes a little patience. For the most part Instant Artist paints were used,  I started by painting the silhouettes of the pumpkins using chocolate. Next with hot orange I painted in the sections of the pumpkin, leaving the tiny bit of brown working as shadows. On my artist palette I mixed a dab of the orange paint with a little bit of Hot Yellow for a highlight color, I then added a thin line of this brighter color to each section of the pumpkins. To add even more definition I outlined the pumpkins using Jet Black. The last step was the vines, as mentioned before I hate the green color selection in the instant artist collection, so I went with my Green Grass Stripe Rite paint from So Easy.

I am not completely happy with the vines, I think I went a little overboard but that's okay! I tend to do that sometimes, it's easy to get carried away.

1 comment: