May 25, 2012

Day 177 - Nautical

Tonight I spent another Friday evening at the local night market. I love going there, especially for all the nail goodies! Today's find was these adorable little steering wheels. I just couldn't wait to use them so I decided to do some nautical nails for today's post.

These nails were a little bit of a mess to start, I originally painted them all in a solid red which I quickly realised would not work. After attempting to remove all the red (there was a bit of staining on the cuticles) I gave the nails a coat of China Glaze First Mate which was a much better color and the name even fit with the design. Once the polish was dry I painted the red and white stripes over the three fingers and added red polka dots on the ring and thumb. On the thumb nail I painted the anchor in silver and gave it a black outline, I then had to add in the chain which was slightly challenging to get the placement right , but after a couple attempts I finally got it right. I proceeded to add chains to the three striped fingers which was much easier, it is a little tricky to get the perfect length, but other than that they lay down straight very easily. The last step was the steering wheel, this was attached with a little glue. I didn't want it too attached since it was only for the day, but if this was a more permanent design I would have added a little acrylic underneath to keep it nice and sturdy. Other than tiny bit of red at the cuticle line, I am really happy with these nails, I have not worn 3D in a little while so it is definitely a fun change.
Polish: China Glaze first Mate

No comments:

Post a Comment