March 26, 2012

Day 117 - Cherry Blossoms

Today I was out and about running errands and I noticed that the lovely cherry blossoms that line our streets have started to bloom. In my neighborhood we have them for several blocks and they just look so pretty mid spring when the trees are filled with flowers. Right now they are very sparse but still add some color to the neighborhood, especially on a cloudy day like today.

Usually when I paint cherry blossoms I start with a regular 5 petal daisy with the clean lines. For today's design I wanted a more abstract flower, rather than using my dotting tool I painted the light pink petals using my pink pastel Instant Artist paint. I then painted the inside of the petals with the rose paint and added the black details. The next step I tried something different, I painted a coat of Seche Vite over the nails, this top coat applies thicker and dries really fast. Once the top coat was dry I went over the tips of the petals with the pastel pink paint, this gave some depth to the flowers so they almost appear 3d. I'm not sure how well it will show up in the picture but on the nails it actually looks really cool!
Polish: China Glaze Sea Spray

1 comment: