February 23, 2012

Day 85 - Peace and Tie Dye

I have really wanted to paint tie dye nails for awhile now, but in my head I always imagined doing it by water marbling the nails. After about an hour of failed attempts, I gave up on marbling. Since I have every color of the rainbow in instant artist paints, I thought why not free hand it? I love when something that starts out as a disaster turns out better than I ever imagined.

This design is actually a lot easier than it looks. First I arranged my paints in a line in the order I wanted the colors. I chose the dark blue to start because is was the darkest color and painted a bunch of lines side by side in a swirl from the center out. You repeat this over and over using every color, slightly overlapping it to slightly blend them together. After the nail was covered I went in with my white striping paint and added in  the odd little flicks in a circular pattern  for where the tshirt would  have been tied. To finish the nails I decided to add in the peace signs for fun, I painted them first in black and then went over in white for a 3d kind of effect.



no polish just Orly instant artist paints (shown above)


1 comment:

  1. Wow I love this! you are such a great artist! This looks so much better than water marbeling and seems like it was a good thing your water marbeling didn't work out lol. Awesome blog!!!

    ReplyDelete